Online education is one of the most promising technological advancements. Thanks to it, education can be available to nearly anyone who has Internet connection and a computer device. In addition, this type of learning is becoming more common among students all over the world. That is due to the fact, that internet technology is no longer a luxury. Moreover, when compared to food, clothes, accommodation and transportation spending of an average student, the price is really worth it. Nevertheless, the fact that online learning has both pros and cons should not be overlooked.
Online education can be extremely convenient for a number of different reasons. Also, it offers students more choice than in-class leaning.
- Affordable – Online education eliminates all extra expenditures for food, rents, transportation, clothing and etc. Students only need to pay their tuition fee and their internet bills, of course!
- Speed of program – If an online student is too busy or is having trouble understanding the material, he or she can always ask for some additional time.
- Flexible schedule – This again concerns the fact that online students enjoy greater choice. Online classes can be held in times convenient for the student. Furthermore, some subjects do not even require human teachers, but only online resources and materials.
- Quickly developing – Online education is becoming more accepted and, as a result, universities are starting to offer bigger choice of online programs and curriculum. Pretty soon online students will have more alternatives than traditional ones.
- Online diplomas recognition – The number of institutions, employers and countries that recognize and accept online diplomas or certificates is increasing with each academic year. The opinion than online learning produces professionals with limited knowledge is becoming part of the past.
Online learning is not just rainbows and butterflies. It has some major disadvantages that need to be taken into consideration.
- The trouble with home learning – Yes, home learning is really convenient. You do not need to dress up or prepare for classes. In addition, you can “go” to classes as soon as you wake up, while you are still drinking your coffee in your pajamas. However, imagine all the things you need to deal at home sometimes. Your noisy pets, family or neighbours, for example. You can never predict when the teen next door will decide to blast his speakers.
- Technical issues and failures – Online learning is dependent on technology. The smallest technical problem can cause you unnecessary problems and headaches. Even worse, a software or hardware failure may delete your project or progress.
- Fake diplomas – Unfortunately, there are still many fake colleges and organizations which offer online classes but have no accreditation for that. What they actually do is swindle students into paying lots of money and simply wasting their time and efforts.
- Standards continue to be different – Although online certificates and diplomas are enjoying better image and acceptance today, the standards continue to be different. Online programs still cannot be compared to traditional ones.
- Zero or limited socializing – Socializing with other students and the faculty is important part of school or university life. With online education, this activity is quite limited. That is a disadvantage since real-life social connections are part of our human’s nature and needs. It is a factor of which students should not be deprived.
The bottom line is that online learning still needs some work on. It is too early for us to replace it with in-class education. However, online education is currently a wonderful alternative for students who are struggling financially, living in an isolated area or are less mobile due to an illness or some other factor.
- Do you want to sell or rent your Dubai property? List it with us FREE of charge NOW!