After a research on the we, Dubai Chronicle’c team put up together a list with top 10 gold mining companies in the world. It is important to know something about them because everyone of them could affect the yellow metal’s prices. That is because these companies account for a significant level of the global market gold supply.
- Largest mining companies report rise in gold production in Q4 of 2012
- Top 10 Silver Mining Companies
Here is the list with the Top 10 Gold Mining Companies:
1. The first place is taken by Barrick Gold Corporation. The company is the top gold miner in the world. It operates more than 27 mines around the world and the number is rising while new ones are developed for growth or replacement. The corporation is based in Toronto, Canada and owns approximately 138.5 million ounces of stockpile gold reserves.
In 2009 Barrick produced 5,525 million ounces of gold within only 9 months. The same year the company produced about 7.6 million ounces. In 2010 the numbers have increased to 8.1 million ounces of gold.
The second gold producer in the list is Newmont Mining Corporation. The corporation is based in Denver, Colorado, USA. It owns mines in 9 locations around the world. For the first 3 quarters of 2009 the company produced 4,715 million gold ounces, while the annual gold output ranged between 5.2 million and 5.4 million ounces.
A year later, Newmont Mining reported an approximately 5-10% increase in its yellow metal production on the back of strong input from Batu Hijau in Indonesia and Boddington in Australia.
3. The third place is taken by AngloGold Ashanti Ltd. The headquarters of the third largest gold producer in the world are based in Johannesburg, South Africa. The company has operating mines in South Africa, West Africa, Australia and South America. In the first nine months of 2009 produced 3.417 million ounces of gold, while total annual output was 4.6 million ounces.
4 Freeport-McMoran Copper & Gold Inc. is the fourth largest gold producer in the world. The company has headquarters in Arizona, North America. It has mines in locations such as North America, South America and Indonesia. For the first 9 months of 2009 Freeport-McMoran Copper & Gold Inc produced at 2,105 million ounces of gold.
5. GoldCorp Inc. is fifth in the top gold producers list. Vancouver, Canada is the place where it’s based on. The first 3 quarters of 2009, the company gathered 1,820 millions ounces of gold from their 16 mines around the world. The same year the total yellow metal production was about 2.4 million gold ounces.
6. The sixth place is for Kinross Gold Corporation. Its headquarters are located in Toronto, Canada. The company operates 9 mines worldwide and has produced 1,624,807 gold ounces for the first 9 months of 2009.
7. Harmony is number seven. It’s based in Randfontein Gauteng, South Africa. 2009’s first 3 quarter them company had output of 1.46 million ounces of gold, which made it one of the largest gold mining companies in the world. Harmony produces gold in Papua New Guine and South Africa. The South African output comes from mines in Gauteng, North West Province, Mpumalanga and the Free State.
8. This place goes to Newcrest Mining Ltd. It’s an Australian company with headquarters in Melbourne. The company owns five mines in Australia and one in Indonesia. It gold production is 1,139,704 ounces of gold.
9. Ninth top gold digger is Gold Fields Inc. The company is based in Johannesburg, South Africa and operates mines in South Africa, Australia, Peru and Ghana. The gold output was 906,000 ounces in the first 9 months of 2009. In the fourth quarter the company increased its output to 925,000 ounces of gold.
10. Lihir Gold Ltd. takes the last tenth place. The company is officed in in Papua New Guinea. It operates on local ground, West Africa and Australia. For the first three Q of 2009 they have gold production of 845,000 gold ounces. The yearly yellow metal output the same year was about 1.2 million ounce of gold.
Here are three additional miners which also have strong performance in gold mining.
Agnico-Eagle Mines Ltd.
Agnico-Eagle Mines is a Canadian company based in Toronto. Quantity of gold produced in the first nine months of 2009 was 329,628 ounces. For the full year the output reached 500,000 ounces of gold. In 2010 gold the production rose to 1.1 million ounce, though the company had similar performance in the following years.
Yamana Gold Inc.
This is also a Canadian company headquartered in Toronto. Yamana is a relatively young company that started operations in 2003. For the first three Q of 2009 its total production from all mines was 314,707 ounces of gold. The annual gold production for the same year was 1.1 million ounce. The company had sustainable production of 1.1 million once annually in 2010 and it was increasing onward.
Rio Tinto plc (RTP)
The company is based in London, UK. RTP precious metal interests are put at Kennecott Minerals and Kennecott Utah Copper in the USA, and at joint ventures at Escondida, Chile, Grasberg, Indonesia and Northparkes, Australia.