What is Amazon Prime is the easiest question for those heavily invested in the tech giant ecosystem, but others should read through the perks before deciding to spend on it.
Tip: For the next couple of days, you can get Amazon Prime for just $73 when you use this link. The deal ends Jan. 17, 2016 at 11:59 p.m. PT. Moreover, starting a 30-day free trial gives you early access to deals, plus free two-day shipping.
Amazon Prime is a membership program that gives customers access to streaming video, music, e-books, free shipping and a variety of other Amazon-specific services and deals. It is a paid service ($99 per year, plus a free 30-day trial) that gives Amazon shoppers a few distinct advantages. Members are eligible for free one- or two-day shipping on most items, among several other perks.
- Free two-day shipping on eligible items to addresses in the contiguous U.S. and other shipping benefits. For more information, go to Amazon Prime Shipping Benefits.
- Free same-day delivery in eligible ZIP codes. For more information, go to Order with Prime Free Same-Day Delivery.
- Membership Sharing: Two adults living in the same household can create an Amazon Household to share certain Amazon Prime benefits. For more information, go to About Amazon Households.
- Prime Instant Video: Unlimited streaming of movies and TV episodes for paid or free trial members in the U.S. and Puerto Rico. You can also add video subscriptions to Showtime, Starz, A&E, AMC and many other streaming entertainment channels. For more information, go to About Prime Instant Video.
- Prime Music: Unlimited, ad-free access to hundreds of Prime Playlists and more than a million songs for members in the U.S. and Puerto Rico. For more information, go to About Prime Music.
- Prime Now: In select cities, you can get one hour delivery for tens of thousands of products from local stores. For instance, in New York City you can now get delivery of beer, wine and spirits from Westside Market, Union Square Wines and Vintage Grape. Chicago, Los Angeles and Baltimore also participate in this program.
- Prime Photos: Secure unlimited photo storage in Amazon Cloud Drive. For more information, go to About Prime Photos.
- Prime Pantry: Access to Prime Pantry, where members can purchase and ship to addresses in the contiguous U.S. low-priced grocery, household and pet care items for a flat delivery fee of $5.99 for each Prime Pantry box. Prime Pantry orders cannot be shipped to addresses in Alaska, Hawaii or Puerto Rico.
- 20 Percent off new, physical video games during pre-order and through two weeks after release, and comes with free, release-date delivery.
- Amazon Elements: Access to Amazon Elements products, Amazon’s own line of everyday essentials.
- Prime Early Access: Get 30-minute early access to Lightning Deals on Amazon.com and new events on MyHabit.com. For more information, go to About Prime Early Access.
- Kindle Owners’ Lending Library: Accessible to members in the U.S. For more information, go to Kindle Owners’ Lending Library.
- Kindle First: Early access for members in the U.S. to download a new book for free every month from the Kindle First picks. For more information, go to Kindle First.
- Video Add-On Subscriptions: You can order third-party streaming apps through Amazon Prime to keep all your video content in one place. For instance, you can add Showtime Anytime and HBO Go to your account.
- Deals and Discounts, Compliments of Amazon Mom: These include 20 percent off diapers through Subscribe & Save and 15 percent off eligible products from your baby registry. For more information, go to Get 20% off Diaper Subscriptions or About the Completion Discount.
It’s worth noting that if you opt for free, no-rush shipping (which can take five to seven days), you can earn money toward music, video and e-book purchases. Also, if a Prime-eligible package arrives after the two-day shipping guarantee, Amazon will extend your Prime membership for a month.
If you decide you want to cancel the subscription afterward, go to your account and select Manage Prime Membership. Click End Membership if you’re currently subscribed, or Do Not Continue if you’re on a free trial and do not wish to start a paid subscription.