Whether you can shake it like Shakira, launch into a perfectly choreographed routine like Britney (pre-VMAs 2007) or have two left feet, there’s no denying that dancing definitely has the power to make you feel good. Feeling sceptical? Here are 10 reasons why!
1. While goal-based sports tend to use the ‘logical’ left brain hemisphere, dancing encourages use of the right hemisphere associated with creativity. ‘Dancing encourages a positive relationship with the body,’ says dance therapist Jocasta Crofts.
2. The endorphins you get from exercising – yes, dancing is a form of exercise even when it’s in your own living room with your iPod-make you happy!
3. Forget the pressures of your life for a moment or two while you immerse yourself in the music and the rhythm take control. Sway with the music!
4. Many people feel disconnected with their physical self. Dancing helps to enable a reconnection – and from this springs a greater sense of centre, and a freedom of expression.
5. When you dance, negative feelings are likely to shift quickly – and if the music is joyful it will help to lift you with it!
6. Dancing not only works your body out but also tones it. We all know that looking good makes us happy! Ballroom dancing improves posture and definitely makes you more graceful. It also gets you in touch with your feminine side.
8. Dancing improves your confidence. You don’t need to be a pro, but if you can feel the music and dance in step, you will naturally look good which, in turn, boosts your confidence.
9. Want to stay limber? Dancing just does that, and depending on what dance you do, you improve your flexibility as well!
10. And finally, dancing allows you to let go of your inhibitions and just have fun! So next time you’re sitting around with a bunch of friends watching TV, why not switch to MTV, turn up the volume and do your thing!