Pinterest announced that it began open registration, dropping its invite-only approach. Users can now sign up for the social photo sharing website without waiting for an invitation, according to Pinterest’s official blog. Prospective pinners can register using their email addresses, or log in with their Facebook or Twitter accounts.
“We’re really excited to have the capacity to offer Pinterest to more people and if you’re a Pinner with friends who’ve been waiting on the sidelines, we hope you’ll let them know,” the blog said.
Prior to opening up, users had to click “Request an Invite” on Pinterest.com, and enter their email address.
The California-based company announced in late July the addition of new categories, including, “Quotes,” “Tattoos” and “Weddings,” which joined old standbys, “Food and Drink,” “Architecture” and “Home Decor.” Some category names were tweaked: “Pets” became “Animals,” and “Prints and Posters” is now “Illustrations and Posters.”
The site, a virtual pinboard where members organize and share photos of their favorite things, is one of the fastest-growing social media networks online. Reports suggest that Pinterest is the third-largest social network in the U.S., behind only Facebook and Twitter. It is currently looking to expand into overseas markets, such as France, Germany and Japan. There are also few Dubai-based users at Pinterest.
Here is Dubai Chronicle’s selection of some of the most interesting of them whom you would love to follow:
1. Carol Taylor has 24 boards on different themes like:Polka Dots, Union Jack, Everyone Loves Cake and more. You can explore variety of themes and somewhat rare pictures.
2. Claire Valdini wrote on her Pinterest profile: “I am a Dubai-based journalist who loves pretty things, photography, traveling, reading and hanging out with friends and family in the sunshine.” Her 15 boards cover these themes and a little more.
3. Oum Salama‘s page headline is the famous quote of Coco Chanel: “There are no ugly women in the world, just lazy ones.” Her pins demonstrate extravagant taste with Middle Eastern twist.
4. S.Bin Essa™ wrote on her Pinterest page with 37 boards: “Love the Life .. And Smile (´⌣`ʃƪ)” She is the perfect Pinterester to follow for all housewives and moms, who care about delicious food, pretty gifts and cosy home decorations.
5. Dubai Chronicle’s editor joined Pinterest just a while ago, but already has few inspirational boards that you may like to follow, like or simply explore.
Will you sign up for Pinterest? Tell us in the comments below.