October 8 is World Octopus Day, which marks the start of International Cephalopods Awareness Days – a whole week to celebrate the most intelligent invertebrates in the world!
To mark the special occasion, Dubai Aquarium & Underwater Zoo is celebrating with a whole week of exciting activities, starting with five of the most interesting facts about cephalopods – they’re incredibly interesting creatures!
1. A cephalopod is part of the animal family called mollusks. This includes creatures like snails and scallops; with octopuses, squid and cuttlefish being amongst the most popular.
2. There are more than 700 different species of cephalopod living in the world’s oceans.
3. Cephalopods are the most intelligent invertebrates – octopuses are particularly cleaver, they are able to recognize shapes and can even open jars to find food!
4. Cephalopods have blue blood. This is because their blood has a high copper content.
5. The colour of cephalopods can change to reflect their mood and to help them camouflage.
Join in the celebrations for World Octopus and International Cephalopods Awareness Days by visiting Kraken’s Lair at Dubai Aquarium & Underwater Zoo. Kids can get in the spirit of the week learning more interesting facts, seeing the creatures first-hand and enjoy themed face painting, ‘creatO-yOur-OctO’ arts & crafts, painting and even themed henna painting; as well as feeding presentations for the Giant Pacific Octopus!
Along with Kraken’s Lair, visitors also enjoy access to the rest of the attractions at Dubai Aquarium & Underwater Zoo included in the regular ticket price, with an array of marine life on show. Or get even closer to the aquatic animals with close encounter experiences including Cage Snorkelling, Shark Dives, Shark Walker packages, Scuba Diving and more!
- What: World Octopus and International Cephalopods Awareness Days
- Themed face painting
- ‘CreatO-yOur-OctO’ arts & crafts and painting
- Themed henna painting
- Feeding presentations for the Giant Pacific Octopus (12pm and 4:30pm daily)
Where: Kraken’s Lair at Dubai Aquarium & Underwater Zoo – The Dubai Mall
When: Every day 1pm to 5pm (Giant Pacific Octopus feeding 12pm and 4:30pm daily)
Price: Included in regular ticket pricing. Close encounter experiences additional