- Do you want to sell or rent your Dubai property? List it with us FREE of charge NOW!
Nielsen published its annual ranking of the bestselling DVD and Blu-ray films of the year. In 2013, the first place is awarded to the final Twilight film – The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn – Part 2. Similar to last year’s list, the majority of the high-achievers are animated movies.
Nielsen does not reveal any specific numbers on the sales of any of the films on the ranking. However, it is not surprising that the last Twilight movie is this year’s leader. Breaking Dawn – Part 2 scored impressive sales. Only during the first weekend of its release, the film sold in around 3.85 million DVD and Blu-ray units.
The second place is occupied by The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey, which was distributed by Warner Home Video. The production debuted directly on the first spot on the charts with 970,000 million of sold DVD and Blu-ray units in less than a week. The newest James Bond film, Skyfall, also found a place in the top three. The movie was especially popular in the UK, where it dominated the video sales during the first half of 2013.
Two Disney animated film productions can be seen among this year’s bestselling DVD and Blu-ray titles – Wreck-It Ralph and Monsters University, which are positions on the 4th and 5th spots, respectively. There are followed by yet another animated movie. Hotel Transylvania, distributed by Sony Pictures Home Entertainment is comfortably sitting on the 6th place. And if that was not enough, Rise of the Guardians, voiced by names like Hugh Jackman, Alec Baldwin and Chris Pane is next on the 7th spot.
Disney shows up with a third movie on the list. Its Iron Man 3 film is proudly waving from the 8th position. The ranking is completed by Fox’s The Croods (9) and Paramount’s Star Trek Into Darkness(10).
The ranking is based on sales data collected between December 31, 2012 and December 1, 2013. It focuses on aggregate disc units like Blu-ray, DVD, DVD/Blu-ray Combo packs and others.
Take a look at the complete list of bestselling DVD and Blu-ray films of 2013 and their release dates:
- Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn – Part 2 (released on March 2)
- Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey (released on March 19)
- Skyfall (released on February 12)
- Wreck-It Ralph (released on March 5)
- Monsters University (released on October 29)
- Hotel Transylvania (released on January 29)
- Rise of the Guardians (released on March 12)
- Iron Man 3 (released on September 24)
- Croods (released on October 1)
- Star Trek Into Darkness (released on September 10)